FSSAI Registration/Renewal

The (FSSAI) Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is a self-governing organization within the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of the Indian government. It is in charge of regulating and supervising food safety to safeguard and promote public health.

FSSAI is a statutory registration license for food and related operations businesses. All makers, marketers, and sellers of food packaging must receive a 14-digit registration or license number, which must be printed on food products.

The Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006 established it to promote food cleanliness and safety in India.

FSSAI Renewal

FSSAI Registration, as well as FSSAI License Renewal, are both required. One must not take the risk of failing to file for FSSAI Renewal. Though the applicant is free to choose the validity of the FSSAI License based on their needs and requirements, the applicant must renew the license regularly to avoid penalties. If the applicant fails to apply for a Food License Renewal or fails to meet the deadline, the permit will be considered expired, and the business operator will not be permitted to continue operating. As a result, it's an intelligent option to file for a Food License Process renewal ahead of time.

3 Types of FSSAI registration - based on turnover

Basic registration

FSSAI is for small businesses or start-ups with an annual turnover of less than Rs.12 lakhs. With increased sales, an essential registration can be upgraded to a state license.

FSSAI State License

This license is for mid-sized businesses with yearly revenues of between Rs.12 and Rs.20 crores.

FSSAI Central license

The annual turnover of a business is even more than Rs.20 crores. It's also essential if you're supplying government offices, importing or exporting food, or doing business in more than two states.

Benefits of getting FSSAI License

Consumer Awareness

An FSSAI license provides all FBOs with the benefit of a dependable and loyal customer base.

Legal Benefits

FSSAI registration is done through the regulating organization FSSAI, and any non-compliance can result in legal action.

Logo of the FSSAI

The FSSAI seal is a symbol of authenticity that assures your customers that the food they're eating is safe to eat.

The company's expansion

The Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS) goodwill will make it possible to expand a firm quickly and easily.

Procedure for FSSAI Registration/RENEWAL

Step 1.

Selection of kind of business.

Step 2.

Selection of food category.

Step 3.

Selection of type of license.

Step 4.

Submission of all Documents by client.

Step 5.

Application processed by TaxDraw team.

Step 6.

Certificate will be issued after completion of registration.

Documents Required for FSSAI Registration

You must submit several documentations for registration depending on the kind of registration and the type of food business you operate.

Common Documents required for obtaining FSSAI registration/ RENEWAL

1. Form B, which must be completed and signed

2. FBO Photo Identification

3. Evidence of ownership of the property (e.g. Rental Agreement)

4. Partnership Deed (if applicant is Partnership Firm)

5. Certificate of Incorporation (if Company’s applicant)

6. A list of food items that must be dealt with

7. Plan for a food safety management system

Documents Mandatory for Obtaining the State License

1. Form B duly completed and signed

2. Layout of the processing unit, including dimensions and area allocation by operation

3. A list of the company's directors/partners/proprietors, together with their addresses, phone numbers, and passport size photograph

4. A list of all the equipment and machinery that was used, as well as the number and installed capacity

5. List of food categories

6. A responsible person was named and his or her address was specified in an authority letter from the manufacturer

7. A report on the water that will be used in the procedure is required to assure portability

8. Demonstration of possession of the premises

9. Affidavit of proprietorship/partnership deed

10. Manufacturer's NOC and a copy of the license

There are many forms and documentation that must be presented in order to convert, renew, or modify a license

Documents Mandatory for Central License

1. Form B properly filled out and signed

2. Layout of the processing unit, including dimensions and area allocation by operation.

3. A list of the company's directors/partners/proprietors, together with their addresses, phone numbers, and passport size photo.

4. A list of the equipment and machinery that was used, as well as the number and installed capacity.

5. List of food categories

6. A responsible person was named, and his or her address was specified in an authority letter from the manufacturer

7. A report on the water that will be utilized in the process to certify its portability.

8. Source of raw materials for milk, meat, and other products.

9. If necessary, create a recall plan.

10. Certificate of 100 percent EOU from the Ministry of Commerce

11. FSSAI has issued a NOC/PA document.

12. DGFT has produced an IE code document.

13. IXth Form

14. Ministry of Tourism Certificate

15. Proof of Possession of Property

16. Partnership Deed/Affidavit of Proprietorship

17. Manufacturer's NOC and a copy of the license

18. Plan or certificate for a food safety management system

19. Letter of authorization from the municipality or local government

20. Documentation proving handover and transportation

21. Declaration form

Documents for Manufacturing and Processing Units

• A list of every piece of equipment and machinery, including their full names, number, installed capacity, and horsepower applied.

• Food category, which is a whole category that should be manufactured.

• Water analysis report from a certified official or laboratory for use in food

• The processing unit's layout plan/blueprint plan shows the measurements in meters/square meters and the operation area allocation.

• A letter of authority from a manufacturer authorized person with name and address, as well as an alternate authorized person, stating the authorities vested in them for assisting officers with inspections, sample collection, packing, and dispatch.

Term & Renewal

FSSAI Registration or License is only valid for the term for which it was granted; the renewal application must be submitted before the validity expires. If the renewal is not completed on time, the applicants must reapply for registration or a license for their food company. Furthermore, FBOs involved in the manufacturing and importing food products must file Return(S) with the FSSAI for each type of food goods handled during the preceding financial year customers.

Who is required to have an FSSAI/food license?

Dairy units.

The vegetable oil processing unit.

Slaughtering units.

Meat processing unit.

Every food processing unit, including relabelled & repackers.

Storage (Except controlled atmosphere).

Storage (Cold / Refrigerated).

Storage (Controlled & cold).

Wholesale food business operator.

Retailer food business operator.

Distributor of food items.

Supplier of food items.

Who needs a FSSAI /Food license?

Dhaba, Food catering.

Club / Canteen / Hotel.




Manufacturer of Food Products

A person who owns or maintains a facility that manufactures or processes food is an FBO with a manufacturing/processing unit. Contract manufacturers, contract packers, and other companies that make or process food are included. FOSCOS have further categorized the food manufacturing/processing unit into the various categories like Dairy Unit, Slaughtering Units, General Manufacturing, etc.

FBO as Traders (Wholesaler or Retailers)

A trading FBO is a person that deals in manufactured/processed food but isn't actively engaged in food production. Food FBO has been classified as a Trader by FOSCOS in the various categories like Wholesaler, Distributer, Supplier, etc.

As Food Service Providers, FBOs

Foodservice providers include FBOs that sell or serve cooked food, including raw food and beverages, whether on their premises or at clients' facilities. Food FBOs are further categorized as Food Service Providers by FOSCOS like Restaurant, Club, Hotels, Tea Shop, etc.

Other FBO Subcategories

While most food business operators fit under the above definition of FBO, other categories of FBOs fall under the FSSAI's jurisdiction and are subject to the FSSAI's laws. The numerous forms of FBO to which FSSAI applies are some of these E-Commerce, Import/Export by FBO, Mid-Day-Meal, etc.

Details about the forms

FSSAI Registration Form A

When a small FBO's annual turnover is less than Rs.12 lakhs, a basic FSSAI Registration Form A must be filled.

State FSSAI License Form B

If the food unit's turnover is less than Rs.20 crore and the activity is only limited to the state, form B is required for a State FSSAI license. When the unit's turnover exceeds Rs.20 crore, the Central FSSAI license form B is required.

Central FSSAI License Form B

When a food unit's turnover exceeds 20 crores, a Central FSSAI License Form B must be filed. It is provided by India's central government.

Note : Form C is only required when the FSSAI renewal procedure is followed.


Rs. 1499 All inclusive price


  • FSSAI Basic License
  • Annual Turnover Of the Business Is Less Than 12 Lakhs
  • Expert Support
Rs. 1999 All inclusive price


  • FSSAI State License
  • Annual Turnover Of the Business Is Between 12 Lakhs To 20 Crores
  • Expert Support
Rs. 2999 All inclusive price


  • FSSAI Central License
  • Annual Turnover Of the Business Is Above 20 Crores
  • Or
  • Ecommerce Business
  • Or
  • Business Across All Over India
  • Expert Support


Any FBO that conducts food business must register with the FSSAI by submitting an application through the FOSCOS online portal.

The renewal application must be submitted 30 days prior to the validity period's expiration. If an FBO fails to file the renewal within the specified time frame, then Rs.100 per day penalty applicable.

No, an entity's food license cannot be transferred; nevertheless, an individual's food license can only be transferred to his or her legal person in the case of the death.

No, there is no provision for a single license for all units in various states. The food license is specific to the location. "One premise, one license" is the golden rule. The FBO must designate one location as its principal place of business/head office and apply for a central license for that location. For all other units, the FBO must apply for a central or state license or registration certificate based on the qualifying criteria for each unit in that state.

Obtaining a licence can provide legal benefits, build goodwill, ensure food safety, increase customer awareness, and help a food business expand. It also helps to regulate the manufacturing, storage, distribution, and sale of imported foods.